Wednesday, April 24, 2013

LISTEN: Acute Otitis Media On Children

DSC03698
It is true that prevention is better than cure, but how can it always be true if what we are preventing is unknown to our knowledge.
AOM or Acute Otitis Media is defined as middle ear inflammation which is very common to children but not limited to adults as well. AOM is the 8th leading ailments among Filipino Children  and 1 out of 2 children in the Philippines will had at least 1 episode of AOM before they reach the age of 3. If not prevented early through vaccination and proper care, AOM can lead to loss of hearing and further result will be delayed mental development for children.
I used to have a problem with my ears back when I was a child and I remember dad bringing me to a local clinic just so a physician can check me. It is not merely that I loss hearing. I just can’t resist stirring my ears with my finger till it hurts. If I’m not mistaken, the physician insert a tube like thingy in my ears where a water seems to come out, eradicating excessive dirt inside. The feeling was awesome, but after seeing what comes out of my ears didn’t make me feel like eating my dinner. 
Good thing that here in the Philippines, Otitis Media Group, a group making effort to prevent such disease, headed by Dr. Genoroso  “Gene” Abes had launched a medical handbook that is first of its kind titled “ACUTE OTITIS MEDIA IN CHILDREN: CURRENT EVIDENCE - BASED RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIANS 2013”. The handbook aims to help primary care physicians further understand AOM. It covers the diagnosis, treatment of AOM in children and full understanding of its complications. 

No comments:

Post a Comment