Sunday, May 13, 2012

Barangay Lagyo, Gumaca Quezon Province: Immersing Back to my Mom’s Roots

AMON CLAN
“Immersing to a world only created inside your head is for me one of the best part of being a story teller.
It’s like you're being reincarnated back to life.
You discover new things and meet people similar to those characters in your imagination.
You suddenly start learning from children and appreciate stuffs like a mucus dripping from a baby’s nose. Oh yeah, its funny but real.”

AGFA POCKET CAMCORDER
Well the thing is in my search for the authenticity of this thing that keeps on running inside my brains, I decided to look back into my mother’s roots.
They live in Gumaca Quezon Province, a soon to be famous place in the Philippines. (LOL) But seriously, according to my uncle, Gumaca, which is famous with their Araña’t Baluarte Festival that happens every 3rd Friday or Saturday of  May,  is the number 1 municipality in Quezon Province this 2012. I just don’t know what else this municipality is famous of, but one thing is for sure, it is full of stories about our families heritage.
AGFA POCKET CAMCORDER  
Our house is located at Barangay Lagyo, beside the sea, a mountain (which I don’t know the name), and a highway going to Bicol. My Lola told me that it was named after “Lagyo”, which means small sharks, because baby sharks used to lurk within the area.
It’s a tsunami free place because it is surrounded by Islands. Open-mouthed smile 
AGFA POCKET CAMCORDER
Lagyo is an urban place, though there’s already advancement in their water system, we still get our water from a well to take a bath. 
The old photos above is a proof that we’re rich before. Bwahahaha! I don’t know what year it was taken, but I believe rich people during that time are the only ones who are able to have themselves photographed. Unfortunately, I don’t know why we’re poor today. LOL!
     AGFA POCKET CAMCORDER
Mom also used to tell me that when she was young, she always cut class just to roam around Bayan (Where Gumaca Public Market is Situated). My mom is not really a good girl, but she’s a good sister and a child in our family, and that’s according to my uncles.
AGFA POCKET CAMCORDER
I believe its everywhere in the Philippines, but Lambanog (Philippine Wine Vodka) looks very interesting to me.
AGFA POCKET CAMCORDER
During our trip, my Mom decided to visit the church and pray.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful blog. I passed by Gumaca for the first time on my way to Bicol (first time also) last February of 2015 and immediately got enchanted by the place! What a beautiful town. I planned on coming back there to retire after 50 yrs in USA.

    ReplyDelete