Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Canned Sardines: Food for the Brain


Once in our life we experience complicated situations where we need to think wise to survive. Some easily fades, while some marks the start of a life changing journey. In this journey we decide what path to take and I’m pretty sure, I did the right thing to survive when I was still little.

Flash back, I’m 13, and usually my parents are always away, so my mother makes sure she leaves my allowance for a week. Unfortunately, if there’ll be extra projects, I’ am required to save money and reimburse it later.

To save money, I often sneak to our stock foods and bring canned sardines to School (my family don’t usually care if there’s a missing sardines) – that is because I usually spend a day in School for studying and participating in different co-curricular activities. I also make sure to cook rice in the morning so I can bring it to school as well.


To cut this long story short, I save for about 75% of my allowance.

So here’s the glitch, many of my classmates raised eyebrows on me and said why not bring canned tuna (I study in a public School and I don’t understand why are they asking such question). That moment my answer was just “What’s the difference from Sardines and Tuna? They’re both fish”, then they asked another question: “Why not buy at the canteen?” To get out of the situation without humiliating my self to them, I said, “I’ve no money so I need to save, In fact, Canned Sardines is a food for the brain”. Honestly, I’ve no basis about what I said and so I’m not sure if I look stupid to them. Also, I just don’t want them to think that canned sardines are food for poor people. Indeed it’s cheap but I found it more delicious than Tuna flakes in oil. I also believe that the tomato sauce in the canned sardines is good for the heart because of its lycopene.

After our conversation, they started thinking and as usual it was followed by teasing. They said what I’m eating stinks, but the hell I care, If I know, they’re also eating my stuffs. I need to save money and I know one day or another, they’ll need to save money too. I also don’t want to use my deficiencies as excuse in not achieving what I need to do as I always believe in the power of perseverance and creativity that lingers in each and every corner of our lives.

To better living!

The next day I found some of my classmates with canned goods for recess.

 Photo courtesy of Burnt Lumpia

No comments:

Post a Comment